Celeriac is a fantastic versatile vegetable! It can be used as a potato substitute, it's full of Vitamin K needed for healthy bones, it contains potassium to regulate blood pressure and it also acts as an antioxidants protecting healthy cells from damage.
BASED ON A SERVING OF 4: ENERGY: 164KCAL / FAT: 6.1G (Saturates: 1.5g) / PROTEIN: 9.4g / CARBS: 21.7g / SUGARS: 5.3g
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (leave a drizzle for sauté your bacon medallions if using)
- 1 yellow onion diced.
- 2 cloves garlic diced.
- 3 carrots chopped.
- 2 celery stick chopped.
- 1 celeriac peeled and chopped.
- 500ml water
- 4-6 unsmoked lean bacon medallions diced.
- Sea salt
- Black Pepper
- Soy sauce
- Thyme / Rosemary / Oregano (or try spiced using chilli flakes or curried using cumin!)
- Add all your chopped veg into a large roasting tin. Add a little water for the bottom, drizzle over your olive oil and add your herbs and spices. Cover and roast at 150 – 180c for 30 – 40 minutes or until soft.
- Transfer to a saucepan, add remaining water, bring to the boil, reduce and simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- In a pan sauté your diced bacon medallions, serve on top or add to your soup and mix through.
Optional: To make a fuller meal / quick nutritious evening meal:
- Add 1 tin of butter beans to the soup.
- 1 x lean chicken breast shredded over the soup.
- Serve in a cup and add a side salad / toasted pitta pocket for balance.