Warmer weather makes us crave fresh crispy veggies and this is a great opportunity to stock up on your vitamins and minerals with veggies the colour of the rainbow! Some tips below on how to create a healthy but tasty summer salad bowl!
HOMEMADE COLESLAW - Great for making in batches!
- 1-2 carrots grated
- ¼ grated red cabbage and or ¼ grated white cabbage (more or less depending) You can chop up a few carrots and use all the cabbage – chop out and remove the core. Store dry in a storage bag in the fridge , it will keep for 1-2 days if you decide to make a batch!
- Dressing: 1-2 tbsp of mayonnaise, 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar / Any other vinegar / 1 tsp Dijon mustard / sea salt / pepper
- Vary the dressing measurements based on your taste buds
- Mix all elements of the dressing together
- Use a small amount and mix in with cabbage and carrot to avoid excess dressing.
- Add more as required
- The dressing alone will store in the fridge for 3 days and can be used as a spread , a dip or a sauce for meats / vegetables.
GRAIN OPTIONAL AND CHOICE EXAMPLES:
- 25g giant couscous
- 25g pasta cooled
- 1 x slice brown bread
- 1 x toasted pitta / 1 x wrap
PROTEIN OPTIONS - CHOOSE 2
- ½ ripe avocado sliced or mashed with chopped tomato and lime for guacamole and use as a spread
- Grilled chicken breast sliced
- 1 x boiled egg
- 1 x baked salmon fillet
- ½ tin roasted chickpeas
- 1 x small tin of tuna in brine
- 2 slices of good quality boiled or baked ham – NO PACKETS!
- 1 tsp of sundried or basil pesto
- 1-2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Olive oil & apple cider vinegar / lemon juice mixed 2:1:1 ratio , adjust to your taste buds , will store in the fridge!
ASSEMBLE YOUR BOWL:
- Homemade coleslaw * see recipe above
- 1 plum tomato / 5-6 cherry tomatoes
- 5-10 olives green or black
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 25g - 40g cheese of your choice (matchbox size) / ½ mozzarella ball / feta cheese matchbox size
- 1-2 tbsp sweetcorn
- 3 – 5 large lettuce leaves (chop into chunks) / mixed lettuce
- Mixed peppers chopped / cucumber / celery – add in a variety
- Protein of choice
- Grain of choice if using