Falafel is a deep-fried ball, or a flat or doughnut-shaped patty, made from ground chickpeas, fava beans, or both. Herbs, spices, and onion relatives are commonly added to the dough.
It is a well known Middle Eastern dish that most likely originated in Egypt. Great for a meat free meal and so satisfying!
Vary your herbs depending on your taste buds. Suitable for freezing, a great batch cook option.
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1x 400g tin of chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lemon OR 1 lime SPICES:
- 1tsp of cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander optional
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp seasalt
- 2 tbsp of tamari / soy sauce
- FOR ROLLING:
- sesame seeds
RED PEPPER RELISH
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 red peppers
- 1x400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of ACV (Apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch paprika
- 1 tsp seasalt
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 to 200 / Gas mark 5-6
- Cut the sweet potato into bite sized pieces.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas – place onto 1 baking tray.
- Put tray into the oven and bake for 25 mins or until soft.
- Put the sweet potatoes mix into a large bowl. Add the herbs and spices.
- Blitz the mix or mash the mix. Make sure it is well mixed and no big lumps left!
- Divide the mixture into four patties or roll into balls. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on a plate, roll the balls or turn the patties. Place on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 mins – roll or rotate halfway through.
- Put the red peppers and onion into a medium pan on a high heat along with the tinned tomatoes and the rest of the relish ingredients.
- Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes. Blend the mixture together and serve!
Falafels are great tucked into a warm pitta with sliced avocado, some grated cheese, hummus , relish, natural yogurt and a fresh green salad.