Spinach & Butter Bean Curry
This is a hearty, meat free curry, full of essential minerals, vitamins, proteins and healthy fats. Quick to make, and can be frozen if needed!
SERVES: 4-6 PERSONS
- 1 chunk of ginger grated.
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 large onion chopped OR 1 leek OR 2 shallots.
- 100g broccoli
- 100g green beans
- 200g mushrooms
- Sea Salt / Black Pepper
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced or Crushed
- 1-2 tbsp curry powder
- 1tsp of garam masala
- 1tsp of turmeric
- 300 -500ml of water
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
- 1 x 400g tin of butter beans drained.
- 100g Kale or Spinach or Bok Choi to add in at the end.
- GARNISH: Handful of fresh coriander optional
- GARNISH: Natural Yogurt / Greek Style Yogurt optional
- GARNISH: Toasted almond flakes optional
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Alone or with Wild rice / brown rice (60g per person = 1 portion)
- SERVING SUGGESTION: OR use wholegrain mini toasted pitta pockets as a sub for NAAN BREAD
- Heat the pot and add a little bit of water to start.
- Add the onion or leek or shallots chopped and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté gently for 5-10 mins.
- Season with sea salt, black pepper, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add in the broccoli, trimmed green beans and mushrooms. Stir and mix well for 10 minutes.
- Add in a small amount of water or stock a little at a time to avoid sticking.
- Add in coconut milk, tinned tomatoes and continue to stir, add in stock or water a little at a time to get a nice thick consistency.
- Add in the butter beans here.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue to simmer for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Towards the end add the juice of your lime and your green leaf of choice and cook until softened (I have chosen spinach but whatever is in stock!)
- Add some toasted almond flakes to finish and some coriander for garnish.
- Serve with options as per ingredients list above.