Shepherds Pie/ Shepherd-less Pie is an ideal batch meal to prepare the day before. I like preparing the base mix the day before and leave overnight in the fridge for the flavours to really develop. Simply make your mash and finish in oven the next day.
Switch to non-meat options as outlined below!
- 454g / 1lb lean steak mince (5%) or 500g red lentils
- 1 tin Kidney beans drained
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- Sea salt / Pepper / Paprika to season – you can use any herbs of your choice here
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Mushrooms / peppers / carrot / celery / courgette or mix of your choice finely chopped
- Frozen Peas
- 2 medium sweet potato
- 2 medium potato
- Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Vegetarian Options (see below)
- 1 x tin chickpeas / 1 tin butter beans / lentils
- Preheat oven to 150-180 °c
- Sauté onion, garlic, celery, carrot in a little cold pressed extra virgin olive oil for 10- 15 mins at low heat
- Add in mince and seasoning. Cook for 10-15 minutes until brown and stir regularly to break mince down into a fine mix. Use lentils here if not using meat with enough water to cover to start.
- Add in vegetables except for frozen peas and water to consistency desired, bring to boil and reduce to simmer.
- Add tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, (other beans if using) frozen peas, and continue to simmer (total 15 mins)
- Meanwhile peel and dice potatoes and boil until soft. Sweet potato cooks quicker so best to cook separately. Put together and mash with sea salt and pepper.
- In a dish spoon out mince mix, top with mash and cover with foil. Cook for 20 minutes with foil on then remove and cook for another 10 to brown mash.
- Serve with salad or roasted veggies
- Make ‘Shepherd less’ leaving out the mince and using lentils and extra veggies.
- Use 1 tin chickpeas, 1 tin butter beans, 1 tin kidney beans and veggies for a 3-bean casserole instead!
- Grate some cheese on top in final 10 minutes of cooking.