INGREDIENTS Serves 4-6 portions:
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 x cloves garlic
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 small sweet potato diced
- 3-4 mushrooms chopped
- 2 salmon fillets – chopped into large pieces
- 2 haddock fillets – chopped into large pieces
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
ROUX: (White Sauce)
- 25g real butter
- 25g plain flour
- 300ml – 500ml of milk depending on consistency – add 300ml and add more if needed
- 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard
- In a large pan add the olive oil and heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and sweat for 5 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the carrot, celery, potato, mushroom and continue to sweat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add water if any sticking occurs.
- Add seasalt & pepper.
- Add the fish pieces and continue to cook over a low heat. ( Add some water if any sticking occurs.)
- In a separate saucepan, melt the oil / butter, add the flour and stir quickly to form a paste over a low gentle heat.
- Gradually add the milk stirring all the time to avoid lumps forming.
- Keep the heat gentle, add in salt pepper, and 1 tsp of wholegrain mustard • Pour over your fish mix and stir all gently, fish takes less than 10 minutes to cook.
- Serve with grain (60g per person) if you are limiting carbs keep to 25g a portion.
- Mix half basmati / wild rice or half brown rice basmati to increase fibre.
- Good on its own or with 1 x slice wholegrain brown bread for a lunch option.