Lasagne is a favourite of mine and I love that the recipe doesn't involve packets and jars plus the meat base and white sauce can be used in a variety of other dishes! Lasagne is perfect for a batch cook and can also be frozen! Leave out the meat and replace with a tin of lentils for a meat free meal!
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (this is great to add as it is packed with B12 and had a cheesy nutty flavour, more cheesy flavour, less calories!)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 500g lean 5% mince OR 1 Tin of lentils for a meatless variety
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 whole onion diced
- 1 courgette diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 stick celery
- 60g hard cheese grated
- 3 sheets brown lasagne / 3 sheets white lasagne (a compromise!)
- Cold pressed olive oil for cooking
- Sea salt / Black Pepper / mixed herbs / fresh basil / Worcestershire sauce / smoked paprika (some of my favourite herbs to use)
- FOR THE WHITE SAUCE:
- 50g self-rising flour sieved
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 300ml milk plus
- In a deep saucepan, heat the olive oil
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery and sweat for 10-15 minutes at a slow heat
- Add the mince and mix well, continue to cook over a slow heat • Add in the courgette, nutritional yeast, chopped tomatoes, dried herbs, sea salt, black pepper and any other natural flavours at this point
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a very slow simmer while making the white sauce.
- Add in a little water as needed to keep from sticking
- Toss in any fresh herbs here
- For the sauce, melt the butter over a gentle heat. Take off the heat and add the flour a small amount at a time all the time stirring until it forms a paste or ‘ROUX’.
- Using a whisk begin to gently add the milk a small amount at a time and return to the heat whisking constantly.
- Add in the 1 tsp of wholegrain mustard and take off the heat, try to have a nice consistency not too thick or runny.
ASSEMBLE (The best part!)
- In a dish add your meat sauce, 3 sheets of lasagne, white sauce, small amount of grated cheese and repeat finishing with cheese on top
- Bake in a 150 oven for 30 minutes or until slightly browned, if making the night before, leave a few minutes more for final browning the next day.
- Roasted vegetables, steamed vegetables or a fresh salad!